Your Source for Leaks Around the World!

Posts Tagged ‘Libyan’

Yemen 4 th June 2011

In Al Jazeera NEWSHOUR, NWO, Yemen on June 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Yemen – importance of strategy

 

Yemeni security forces pounded the home of a tribal leader whose supporters are suspected of injuring top government officials, a flurry of shelling that left 10 people dead and 35 others wounded.

Government forces targeted the dwelling of Hamid al-Ahmar in the southern part of the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on Friday, Fawzi Al-Jaradi told CNN on Saturday.

The attack on the same day fighting intensified in the capital, with government and tribal forces trading fire.

Shells hammered the mosque at the palace of President Ali Abdullah Saleh, killing an imam and several security guards and wounding Saleh and high-ranking senior officials — all of whom were observing Friday Muslim prayers.

Demonstrations have unfolded in Yemeni cities for months between supporters of Saleh and anti-government forces who want him out of office

One of those flashpoint towns is Taiz, where protesters retook an iconic square in the center of the city on Saturday after government forces cleared it out last week.

Eyewitnesses said security forces tried to disperse crowds of anti-government demonstrators by shooting at them and that at least two were injured.

Fears of all-out civil war have spiked since, as government forces and people alleged to be Hashed tribesmen fought in the capital since late last month.

The presidential palace attack illustrates the escalating violence. It left Saleh with a slight head injury and necessitated the transfer of some of the officials to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment.

Those transferred include prime minister, Ali Mujawar; deputy prime ministers Rashad al-Alimi and Sadeq Amin Abu Rasand; Shura Council Chairman Abdul Aziz Abdul Ghani; Parliament speaker Yahya Al-Raee; and Shura Council Chairman Abdul Aziz Abdul Ghan.

A Yemeni official who asked not to be named told CNN that Saleh was in the mosque when two “projectiles” were fired during Friday prayers. He confirmed the death of Sheikh Ali Mohsen al-Matari and four bodyguards. State-run news agency SABA, citing a source in Saleh’s office, said three guards and the sheikh were killed.

In a televised speech Friday night, the president said the attack occurred as talks were taking place between him and affiliates of Sadeq al-Ahmar, the head of the Hashed tribe whose break with Saleh has been followed by spiraling violence.

Eyewitnesses, residents and government officials say Hashed tribesmen carried out Friday’s attack on the presidential palace. But the spokesman for Sadeq al-Ahmar denied it.

“The Hashed tribesmen were not behind these attacks on the presidential palace and if they were, they would not deny it,” according to Abdulqawi al-Qaisi.

According to the independent International Crisis Group, tensions escalated May 23 when fighting erupted between military forces controlled by “Saleh’s son and nephews and fighters loyal to the pre-eminent sheikh of the powerful Hashed confederation, Sadeq al-Ahmar.”

In his speech, the president said those behind Friday’s attacks were not connected with the youth-led movement in Sanaa’s Change Square. Rather, he said that “gangsters” perpetrated the strike as part of their bid to overthrow his government and destroy Yemen’s economic achievements.

“I salute the armed forces everywhere and the courageous security forces who are keen on combating the attacks by a criminal gang that is acting outside of the law and is not affiliated with the youth’s revolution present in Change Square,” Saleh said.

Mohammed Qahtan, the spokesman for the Joint Meeting Parties, Yemen’s largest opposition coalition, said that “the attack on the palace was pre-planned by President Saleh to make people forget about the attacks that he has committed over the last two weeks.”

Qahtan said Saleh’s forces have “bombarded most of the al-Ahmar family properties after the palace attack” and have killed hundreds over the past two weeks.

While Saleh has been unpopular among many inside his country, he has been a longtime ally of the United States in the war against terror.

The United States has counted on his government to be a bulwark against militants, including al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, but it believes he should transfer power in order to maintain stability in the country.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said on Friday that John Brennan, the president’s homeland security adviser, traveled to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates for meetings with government officials to “discuss options to address the deteriorating situation” in Yemen.

Protesters upset over what they regard as political oppression and government corruption want Saleh step down. A deal to make that happen, fashioned by the regional Gulf Cooperation Council, has broken down.

Obama Authorizes Use of Predator Drones in Libya

In Libya, News, NWO, World Revolution on April 24, 2011 at 4:31 PM

President Barack Obama has approved the use of armed Predator drone aircraft in Libya to improve the precision of low-level attacks on ground targets, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday.

The first armed drone mission since Obama’s go-ahead was flown on Thursday, but the aircraft, armed with Hellfire missiles, turned back due to poor weather conditions without firing any of its munitions.

As President Obama okays the use of robotic drones in Libya, 25 people—including women and children—were killed in Pakistan today at the hands of the very same aircrafts. As America unveils a new battle plan overseas, will the possibility of success outweigh the death toll of civilians?

CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF LIBYA REVOLUTION

EU Prepares Libya Ground Invasion

In Libya, News, NWO, World Revolution on April 20, 2011 at 3:31 AM

InfoWars.com:

Alex Jones addresses the cynical, pre-planned announcement by the EU to officially launch ground forces in Libya, a policy set in place since late February / early March when U.S. and British originally deployed special forces. Despite the marching drums of escalating war, the Western powers are still trumpeting that operations in Libya are limited to humanitarian action.

Obama & co. started the bombings in Libya with a U.N. resolution and a supposed “no fly zone.” It was supposed to be a humanitarian crisis and not a war, then a “kinetic” military action and not a war. The West said from day one that there would never be ground forces used; but now that it’s official policy, Orwellian terms are used to mask its reality. This latest deception is all part of the imperial world government’s new favorite tool of revolution- one that amounts to first backing rebels, then following with a UN or NATO backed ground force and plenty of propaganda.

This invasions and acts of war & aggression will not stop until we speak out against it. The New World Order is intent on swallowing up rogue nations with independent central banks; it is intent on rolling back sovereignty and reigning-in even first world nations with debt and economic ruin. For the U.S, this is only worsened by an overstretched military now engaged in three ground “wars” and a free falling dollar.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF LIBYA REVOLUTION

Al Jazeera Demands Release of Journalists Held in Libya

In Libya, News, Viral Videos, World Revolution on April 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Al Jazeera is calling on Libyan authorities to set free Ahmad val ould Eddin, Ammar Al-Hamdan, and Kamel Al Tallou, who were detained last month while covering the ongoing conflict in the country.

Libyan authorities have not provided any information about why the journalists are being held. The three were held near Zintan in the northwest of the country and then imprisoned in Tripoli.

Al Jazeera:

Ahmad val ould Eddin first joined Al Jazeera in 2008. He worked as a correspondent in South Africa before returning to the newsroom in Doha. He reported on Africa, which led him to cover Libya during the recent uprising. A Mauritanian, he has two daughters, Layla and Lubna. He writes a blog called ‘Kounach’, a compilation of his newspaper articles. He is a passionate reader of Arabic poetry, especially by Al-Mutanabbi.

Kamel Al-Tallou joined Al Jazeera as a cameraman recently, driven by his passion for journalism despite his medical education and background as a doctor. Al-Tallou studied medicine in Tripoli before working as a doctor in England until 2009. Kamel, a 43-year-old UK citizen, is married with three sons and one daughter.

Ammar Al-Hamdan is a Norwegian cameramen with a multicultural background. He is of Palestinian origin but born and raised in Baghdad. Al-Hamdan is married to a Norwegian journalist and has worked in Al Jazeera’s Oslo bureau since 2006.

Late Sunday night, one of four detained Al Jazeera journalists, Lotfi Al Masoudi, crossed the border into Tunisia.

Lotfi Al Masoudi joined Al Jazeera from CNBC Dubai in March 2007 and started off as a presenter for Al Jazeera Sport. He is a native of Kairouan, Tunisia, and his main professional goal has been to make sure that Al Jazeera stays at the forefront of the news industry. This devotion took him to Libya to cover the conflict there as a correspondent. Lotfi is 34, married, and has a 2-year-old son named Mohamad Khalil. Lotfi and his wife Amira hope to have a family reunion soon.

However, the other three are still being held by Libyan authorities.

On March 31, Libyan authorities re-arrested the four Al Jazeera journalists just hours after they were released.

They had been detained earlier by Libyan authorities near Zintan, in the northwest of the country, and then imprisoned in Tripoli for three weeks.

Their latest incarceration came after Al Masoudi told Tunisian radio station Jawhara FM in a telephone interview that they had been released and that they had been treated well in detention.

Al Masoudi, a Tunisian national, had been re-taken on Thursday along with Ahmad val ould Eddin, a Mauritanian national, Ammar Al-Hamdan, a Norwegian national of Palestinian descent, and Kamel Al Tallou, a British citizen.

During their brief freedom, the journalists met with their respective ambassadors in Tripoli to discuss their situation and their planned departure for Tunisia the following day.

Libyan authorities have not provided any information about why or where the journalists are being held.

“We call on Libyan authorities to release the Al Jazeera journalists and all other journalists that they or their forces are holding,” Robert Mahoney, deputy director of the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), said.

Since Libya”s revolt began in February, CPJ has documented more than 60 attacks on the press, including two fatalities, more than 33 detentions, two attacks on news facilities, numerous instances of equipment confiscation, three cases of obstruction, the jamming of satellite news transmissions, and the interruption of internet service.

On March 12, Ali Hassan Al Jaber, an Al Jazeera cameraman, was killed in an ambush while returning to Benghazi after filing a report from an opposition protest.

During the crackdown, Libyan authorities have targeted four New York Times journalists and a Guardian correspondent.

And at least seven local journalists who spoke critically of government policies remain missing amid wide speculation that they are being held by forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, Libya”s embattled leader.

Al Jazeera released a statement on March 30 calling for the immediate release of its journalists. The call was signed by a foray of international organisations.

NATO Air Strikes Continue Killing Rebels & Civilians

In Libya, NWO, World Revolution on April 3, 2011 at 7:58 PM

A NATO air strike intended for Muammar Gaddafi’s forces killed 13 rebel fighters in eastern Libya instead, the opposition said Saturday. Opposition spokesman Abdel-Hafidh Ghoga said the slain fighters were hit Friday night as they moved forward, attempting to take back the oil city of Brega, while air strikes were in progress. Seven fighters were injured

NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said the alliance was investigating, and appeared to suggest that its aircraft on patrol had encountered ground fire and had retaliated.

Mohammad Bedrise, a doctor in a nearby hospital, said three burned bodies had been brought in by men who said they had been hit after firing a heavy machine gun in the air in celebration. Idris Kadiki, a 38-year-old mechanical engineer, said he had seen an ambulance and three cars burning after an airstrike.

NATO is also investigating whether other Coalition air strikes have killed civilians in western Libya, as the Libyan government claims.

Seven civilians died and 25 were hurt in a coalition air strike on a pro-Gaddafi convoy in eastern Libya, a doctor there has told the media.

Dr Suleiman Refardi said Wednesday’s raid happened when the strike hit a truck carrying ammunition, and the resulting explosion destroyed two nearby homes. All the dead were between the ages of 12 and 20, Refardi said.

There were also reports last month of nine people, who Afghan officials said were children collecting firewood, being killed in a NATO air strike in eastern Kunar province.

A NATO air strike has hit rebels again, reports saying as many as 13 people were killed. This comes as U.K. Officials are already investigating Libyan claims that British planes destroyed the Arab State’s largest oil field, killing at least 3 guards.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE COVERAGE OF LIBYA REVOLUTION

%d bloggers like this: