The video, called “A Message to the Government of Japan,” shows IS executioner “Jihadi John” standing over Goto with a knife held to his throat, followed by footage of Goto’s body with his head placed on it.
“To the Japanese government.
You, like your foolish allies in the satanic coalition, have yet to understand that we by Allah’s grace are Islamic caliphate with authority and power. An entire army thirsty for your blood.
Abe, because of your reckless decision to take part in an unwinnable war, this knife will not only slaughter Kenji, but will also carry on and cause carnage wherever your people are found. So let the nightmare for Japan begin.”
Goto says nothing in the roughly one-minute-long video.
Release of the video comes exactly a week after footage showing the beheaded body of another Japanese hostage Haruna Yukawa.
Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said the Cabinet was convening an emergency meeting and was rushing to confirm the authenticity of the online video. U.S. officials said they were also trying to confirm its authenticity.
Abe strongly condemned “the terrorist act” and pledged that Japan “will never give in to terrorism.”
“I feel heartbreaking pain,” Abe told reporters. “I will never forgive terrorists. To have them pay for their crimes, I will work with the international community. Japan will keep expanding humanitarian aid, such as food and medical assistance.”
Abe also said he thanks “leaders of the world and friends of Japan,” who cooperated to try and save the two Japanese hostages, in particular Jordan’s King Abdullah II. “[The king] gave us full support. On behalf of the [Japanese] nation, I’d like to thank him,” Abe said.
Saturday’s video made no mention of Jordanian air force pilot Mu’ath al-Kaseasbeh (PDF), whose fate had been linked to that of Goto. Kaseasbeh was captured after his fighter plane went down in December over an Islamic State-controlled area of Syria. Earlier this week, Jordan had offered to free an Al-Qaeda prisoner for the pilot, but after IS failed to respond to a request for proof that Kaseasbeh was still alive, the swap never moved forward.
A prominent Islamic State account tweeted on Wednesday after Jordan’s proof of life request, that Kaseasbeh had been beheaded when the deadline imposed by the group passed.
Another top IS account tweeted yesterday that a forthcoming media release from the group related to Kaseasbeh would be coming soon.
Moaz the apostate
Soon a new release will be circulated from
Stay tuned stay tuned